The fields are in full bloom and the Dutch know how to entertain. The Tesselaar Tulip Festival is running once again and the school holidays line up perfectly with the celebration of Children's Days. The annual celebration of all things tulips is a family friendly fiesta with hundreds upon thousands of visitors flocking up to Silvan to take in the breathtaking rainbow of tulip colour and of course, snap those stunning photos. The beautifully maintained rows of delicate stems along the hillside are picture perfect and you had better pack the camera and the selfie stick to grab a photo of the kids running through the bands of colour.
Once you have explored the main fields, you can still experience the beauty of the gardens in the more formal show gardens that are uphill and to the left as you enter the gate. Here you will also find the Holland Stage, the market stalls, food stands, dutch games and Fairy Hollow. You and the kids will have a ball on any day of the festival with gnome hunts, posing in the World's Largest Clog and tractor rides. The festival runs for just shy of four weeks with different themes throughout and super special fun weekends. School holidays is when the action REALLY heats up as the Children's Days (Monday - Thursday of BOTH weeks in the school holidays) you will be treated with on stage performances, workshops and fun kid activities.
Mamma's lil' tips: Save time lining up and book online. Be sure to wear your gumboots (for the kids AND adults). Bring extra cash for some hot food and some extra kid stalls (face painting, sand craft, plaster painting, didgeridoo lessons!). The fields will cope with prams but best to bring the all-terrain version opposed to the shopping centre pram for the hills and potential mud.
What is on when?
- Turkish weekend (Sept 15 – 17)
- Over the Rainbow week (Sept 18-21). Twice daily performances of THE Wizard of Oz.
- Dutch weekend (Sept 22-24)
- The Children’s Get Active week (Sept 25 – 28). Peppa Pig and George daily on the Main Stage plus dancing with Ruby Ray and the Funky Monkeys, African drumming and hula hoop workshops, petting zoo and fairy hollow.
- Food, Wine and Jazz weekend (Sept 29 – Oct 1).
- Children’s Superhero Week (Oct 2 – 5) Kids are encouraged to dress up as their favourite hero or character! Poppy and Branch from the DreamWorks movie Trolls daily shows, plus the MikMaks, craft workshops, storytelling, face painting and more.
- Irish Weekend (Oct 6 – 8).
the nitty gritty
9am - 5pm
September 14 - October 15 2017
SEASON HAS BEEN EXTENDED!
Monday 25 - Thursday 28 & Monday 2 - Thursday 5
Adult - $28
Concession - $24
Children under 16 FREE (when accompanied by an adult)
wanna know more? click here
Monbulk Rd, Silvan