They do things so well at Sovereign Hill from the authentic looking town complete with horse and carts, soundscapes to the shows and activities - it's quite surreal wandering around. The 'townsfolk' take their roles very seriously with their street banter and costumes too, all adding to this very unique experience. Mamma has a two and four year old and always have a FULL day of fun as there is plenty for everyone to do and see. Panning for gold was a highlight, blacksmith demos, gold pouring, firearm demonstrations, a bar, shopping and SO much more. You'd think school holidays and public holidays would be a CRAZY time to visit but it's quite the opposite as the oodles of people add to the atmosphere - plus they have holiday programs including pantomimes in the theatre that are JUST fantastic and yes, we found GOLD - Eureka!
Mamma's Hot Five Tips:
1. Wear GOOD sturdy footwear. The roads and paths are gravel.
2. If you have a small kiddo then take a pram/buggy not a stroller, there are a few hilly bits to tackle. (You can hire 3 wheeler buggy's for $5.00)
3. Definitely try the old school bakery pies and cakes - Delish
4. Buy your tickets online to save on time and queues and consider a membership. If you go twice in a year you are pretty much in front if your kids are over 5.
5. Prepare for a DAY trip. There is so much to do and eat and see!
Mamma's special mention: These school holidays, Sovereign Hill will be merry by day and magic by night with the return of Winter Wonderlights - Christmas in July! As well as a full program of Christmas-themed activities during the day, the outdoor museum will light up each evening, bigger and better than ever, as the team behind Melbourne’s White Night event creates a dazzling early evening spectacular, transforming Main Street into a dazzling winter wonderland with shops, hotels and the theatre lit up in a spectacular snowy display of Christmas Wonderlights. All included with your day entry ticket! This sounds amazing!
the nitty gritty
kids over 5 $24.50
kids 0-4 are FREE!
2 adults and up to 4 kids $136.00
click here for online bookings
10am to 5pm every day except Christmas Day.
During daylight saving, Sovereign Hill is open until 5.30 pm.
Unlimited free parking on-site.
Bradshaw St, Ballarat
For more roadtrippin inspiration click here!